Trade the waves~

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Trade the waves~

Elliot-ish.

2 posters

5 Oct - 9 Oct

Rd
    Admin

5 Oct - 9 Oct Empty 5 Oct - 9 Oct

Post by Rd Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:08 am

Starting from Alan (Greenspan), together with other market analysts, they begin predicting that the current surge is ending, and an upcoming slump is ahead. This is good for us, volatile markets coming! Prepare to see lots of red candles!

Current Currency Direction Prediction(Based on news reads):

JPY: Sideways/Follow Dollar direction

USD: Downwards further till mid month as more news show the current deteriorating economy in US and stimulus approaches end of it's benefits. But might not go too far down.

GBP: Down for the whole month - Manufacturing doesn't show up well.

EUR: Might head in either directions. I am not sure if EURO will begin showing it's bad results this month or the following month. IS the euro a lagging "indicator" behind the other economies in terms of bull/bear markets?

-That's all and thanks for watching Richberg!

Last edited by Rd on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    niea
    Forex Donators

5 Oct - 9 Oct Empty Re: 5 Oct - 9 Oct

Post by niea Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:56 pm

It's weird... last Friday down should effect much harder this morning...
    but GJ seems to be holding up well...
    maybe because of this news?
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601068&sid=ajTxz9pHQaNw

this morning saw Greenspan comment on something positive but I can't find back the news...

I think based on figures, all major currency is facing downturn...
    Rd
    Admin

Post by Rd Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:34 pm

I don't feel like trading on GJ for this week i guess. Not sure what's the direction. Don't want to risk a trade that I have no confidence in.
    niea
    Forex Donators

Post by niea Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:42 pm

For this week I'm not sure yet but for today not going to open new position for GJ as mix reaction on Monday Mood Swing... Razz
    Rd
    Admin

Post by Rd Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:59 am

Dollar drop-

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=awIrc5vK4RyU

Yen climbs-

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aCyyL6SuOAeI
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aOdcYLKYvTN8
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aie4UKYV2csM
    niea
    Forex Donators

Post by niea Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:21 pm

I don't hv high hopes for yen because if yen strengthen too much then Japan Finance Minister will intervene...

if I'm not mistaken, when yen strengthen is not good for their economy
    Pls correct me if I'm wrong... Razz
    niea
    Forex Donators

Post by niea Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:21 pm

Australia the first one to increase interest rate, will other country follow suit?
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aH9_Kjmk1laM

I think I played Aussie/Yen just one time which is long long time ago... Razz

waiting for few figures for GBP today:
    GBP Industrial Production
    GBP Manufacturing Production
    GBP GDP estimate

On Thurs:
    GBP BoE Interest Rate Decision
    Euro ECB Interest Rate Decision
    Rd
    Admin

Post by Rd Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Yes, to answer your question. it will hurt exports.

well well... i wonder who will follow suit after aussie.. Smile
    niea
    Forex Donators

Post by niea Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Bearish pound tonight after -ve figure for few reports...
    but DJIA seems green all the way...

or is it yen making it worst...
    Rd
    Admin

Post by Rd Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:51 pm

News analysis by Richberg: I suspect markets to be much more volatile within this week, because the aussies made the first step of increasing the central interest rate for the first time in a long time, showing signs of cautious but good optimism for the economy of australia.

I figure, people will scrutinize on the ECB and BOE's thoughts now too, based on the fact that, the banks might be starting to increase interest rates -FINALLY-. big candles are expected later today for euro and pound...

it might be a good time to start learning on trading on the aussie dollar.. i sense higher volatility for aussie pairs now.
    niea
    Forex Donators

Post by niea Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:53 pm

Caution ahead...

BoE & ECB interest rate decision today...
    Rd
    Admin

Post by Rd Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:51 pm

nope... no change yet.. Razz
    Rd
    Admin

Post by Rd Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:25 pm

Strong comment that states unemployment figures (tonight 8.30) will stay bad.

Fed Chairman Ben S. Bernanke said on Oct. 1 economic growth may not be strong enough to “substantially” bring down unemployment, indicating the central bank will be slow to drain the trillions of dollars it’s pumped into the economy.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aii2.kI6NWiI
    Rd
    Admin

Post by Rd Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:12 am

USD proving to be catching up soon, gains on USD ahead. Looking forward to a backlash trade Smile

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=awBZqyyc7ZJ4
    niea
    Forex Donators

Post by niea Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:05 am

Not so fast...
    The news balance out with Alcoa earning...
    seems alcoa earning much important news therefore bring up DJIA...

last time I remember someone mentioned to be cautious when Alcoa announce their report... it hv great impact on DJIA and set the tone for earning season...

but what so special with alcoa?
    it just an aluminium producer company...
    well... ok world's leading producer company...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoa
    http://www.alcoa.com/global/en/home.asp
    Rd
    Admin

Post by Rd Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:07 am

but again, what's so fancy about alcoa?
    Rd
    Admin

Post by Rd Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:43 am

Hmm... commodities and metals go up, dollar goes down?

Most companies dealing with metals are going up? Dollar will continue it's downward decent?

If it goes on like this... dollar will be in a very very very very deep mess.
    niea
    Forex Donators

Post by niea Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:40 am

Rd wrote:but again, what's so fancy about alcoa?
    That's my question... why alcoa? why cannot be other company...
    or is it just because alcoa among the first company to announce their earning report?

As I know, normally when gold uptrend, DJIA will be green and dollar will be weakening

last time when I trade stock, I remember when the news mentioned dollar strengthening then the stock market will be down...
    Rd
    Admin

Post by Rd Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:48 am

but would that be fixed?(for the gold and dollar movement) or it's just a "saying"?

I guess yeah, alcoa being a big company and being ahead of everyone else in releasing their earnings report, together with the fact that aluminium is a manufacturing company, shows much details on the current industrial situation on US?
    Rd
    Admin

Post by Rd Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:52 am

This news proves my point of USD and EURO fighting against the yen.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a6PsXFvHyTTY

I believe a backlash(reversal) will come. Mainly because, China invested a lot in US. They definitely won't allow that to happen (usd dropping). Besides JPY don't want their currency to be too strong. Pressure forces USD and EUR to go up against yen. I still believe usd will be going up very soon.
    niea
    Forex Donators

Post by niea Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:03 pm

I don't think gold & dollar relationship is fixed but it is most of time correct in opposite side

Taken frm:
    http://www.articlesbase.com/investing-articles/the-gold-us-dollar-relationship-787436.html#

The post made on Feb 2009
    What will happen to the US Dollar, Gold and other Precious Metals as countries around the world enter recessions? What are the basic trading rules that investors should know if they are spread betting on these markets? 1) Gold is considered to be a long-term hedge against inflation. That has been empirically justified by research conducted by the World Gold Council (June 2006). 2) In the short-run, the geopolitical tensions or periods of uncertainty spark an uptrend in the price of precious metals. Precious metals may be considered to be a hedge against geopolitical tensions or severe crises. 3) There is an inverse relationship between the Commodity Precious Metal Price Index and the US Dollar Index. This relationship is also substantiated by the empirical findings of the World Gold Council which shows that there is a negative relationship between the price of gold and the US dollar. 4) During recessions the US dollar typically appreciates in value and the price of silver, platinum and palladium decline, keeping true to the inverse relationship mentioned above. 5) During recessionary periods the price of gold and the US dollar appreciate together, failing the inverse relationship in the short-run. In the long-term, the inverse trend between gold and the US dollar holds, just not during recessions. The above suggests that gold is not only a long-term hedge against inflation and a short-term hedge against crises. It suggests that Gold, unlike silver, platinum and palladium, is also short-term recessionary hedge. If the above is true, that goes some way to explaining what could happen over the next few years. For a slightly different perspective Anthony Grech, Analyst, IG Index stated in his 2008 Precious Metals Report that he felt that: 1) Uncertainty concerning a US recession and weakening equity markets could entice investors back to precious metals, triggering brief spikes. 2) My overall impression is bearish for 2008-2009. I believe that precious metals have already reached their peak and silver, platinum and palladium are likely to experience a downward correction from current levels, especially if the US economy enters a recession and the US dollar starts to appreciate. 3) On the other hand, gold finds some support during recessions and appreciates. However, the rise is likely to be minimal since the increase during the previous three economic downturns averaged around 2%. As a result, investors would be better off shorting other precious metals. 4) Assuming the US economy did fall into a severe recession similar to the stagflationary period seen in the 1980s, gold (and possibly the rest of the precious metals sector) could start to experience a sharp rebound. However, I believe that this event is unlikely to occur. The Federal Reserve is proactively reducing interest rates and has been successful at managing the recessions that occurred after the 1980 downturn. 5) [my] long-term trend for precious metals is bearish, but short-term ‘emotional’ spikes are foreseeable. Spread betting carries a high level of risk and may not be suitable for all classes of investor. Only trade with money that you can afford to lose. Make sure you fully understand the risks involved. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

another source taken frm:
    http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_05/milhouse021307.html

Anyone who follows the gold and currency markets closely will realise that the US$ gold price and the Dollar Index generally trend in opposite directions; or, to put it another way, that the US$ gold price and the Swiss Franc generally trend in the same direction. This reciprocal relationship between gold and the dollar is often not evident on a daily or weekly basis, but is almost always evident during periods of 12 months or longer.

The reason that gold and the dollar generally trend in opposite directions is that in one respect gold is just another currency. It is no longer money in the true meaning of the word, but it tends to trade as if it were. As a result, when the dollar weakens on the foreign exchange market over an extended period then the US$ gold price will generally rise during the same period; and when the dollar strengthens over many months the US$ gold price will usually fall. There are, of course, leads and lags and there's no reason to expect that percentage changes in one will be accompanied by equal-and-opposite percentage changes in the other, but when charts of the dollar and gold are compared it quickly becomes apparent that the two have been inversely correlated since the floating -- some would say sinking -- currency system came into being in the early 1970s.

In discussing the dollar-gold relationship in the above paragraphs we used the words "generally", "usually" and "tend" because over the decades there have been a few periods when gold and the dollar have NOT trended in opposite directions. One such period occurred between May and November of 2005, prompting many gold bulls to proclaim that gold had de-coupled from the dollar. However, this proved to be just a 6-month aberration within a 10-year period during which the traditional relationship was very strong.

Another period during which the traditional inverse relationship broke down was May through to December of 1993. The most pronounced divergence of all from the traditional gold-dollar relationship occurred during 1978-1980 and is clearly evident on the following chart comparison of the US$ gold price and the Swiss Franc (the SF/US$ exchange rate). The chart shows that the best gold rally of the past 100 years -- a rally that took the gold price from $200/oz to $800/oz in the space of just 14 months -- occurred while the US$ traded sideways relative to the Swiss Franc. In this case, gold was not driven upward by weakness in the US$ relative to other paper currencies, but, instead, by fears that the world's monetary system was coming apart at the seams. There was a mass exodus from all paper currencies and one of the main beneficiaries was the substance that had invariably been chosen by the market to perform the role of money during those historical periods when it had been free to choose

We suspect that gold's best gains during the current secular bull market will ultimately come in response to the same sorts of fears that led to the dramatic 1978-1980 price surge. In any case, the point we really wanted to make is that gold never actually de-couples from the currency market because the investment demand for gold -- the only thing that really matters as far as gold's intermediate- and long-term price trends are concerned -- is inexorably linked to what's happening to the official currencies. Most of the time gold responds to trends in the dollar's foreign exchange value, but there are also times when it responds to changes in the general level of confidence in paper money regardless of whether the US$ happens to be a relatively weak or a relatively strong currency.
    Rd
    Admin

Post by Rd Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:46 pm

Fed Governor Kevin Warsh said Sept. 25 interest rates may need to rise “with greater force” than usual

Expect a bigger jump on the interest rates for USD when it is due. Just don't know when. Watch for LONGs on interest rate news for US from now on if you want to play news!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aW8NcKyNHIOY
    Rd
    Admin

Post by Rd Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:57 am

somehow i feel i've missed the moment of opportunity to trade USD... now it's already starting to strengthen higher and higher. I don't intend to enter in case the price backfires against me. Too bad, have to wait for the next opportunity...
    niea
    Forex Donators

Post by niea Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:00 am

I just came back frm forex class preview...
    this is Don Schellenberg (presenter) opinion:
    at the moment we are at resistance...
    expecting significant correction
    Rd
    Admin

Post by Rd Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:06 am

significant correction on what?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 10:22 pm